– Coca-Cola is the most important private sector employer in Africa : it employs 100 000 people to distribute Coca-Cola products in all African countries, except two.
– In 2001 Coca-Cola’s turnover in Africa reached $621 million and represented the highest growth rate of the company’s sales in the world. The same year AIDS killed more than 2.3 million people on the African continent.
– Coca-Cola’s profit margin in Africa is predicted to grow by 12% in the coming 4 years, well beyond its profit margins in all other regions in the world.
– The most profitable markets for Coca-Cola on the African continent are in sub-Saharian Africa where 26 million people are living with HIV/AIDS.
– 95% of the 40 million people living with HIV/AIDS in the world have no access to treatments and care because political officials and CEOs of multinational corporations consider treating them an unprofitable investment of capital.
– In 2001 Coca-Cola’s total turnover in the world was $20 billion.